Tuesday, April 24, 2012

WAXING POETIC


Thanks to Jerolyn for reminding us of National Poetry Month.  I feel like waxing poetic.

Jerolyn is a real poet. Her book, Egrets Rise is proof. Her poetry is lilting, gentle and makes one appreciate life.

Besides Jerolyn, Ogden Nash is one of my favorites. He was so good with short verse like:      Candy is dandy. But liquor is quicker.

Now, why can’t I think of some pithy, fun lines like that? When I try I come up with something like:                   
                                                     Seasoned To Taste                                                                              

I thought I was seasoned,
but apparently not—
Someone threw spices
into my pot!

Turn up the heat
of the simmering sun.
The stew of my life
is not quite done.

Sprinkle some joy
and a helping of trouble;
bring to a boil
and let it all bubble.

Life’s what I make it—
a day at a time.
Just stir me with love
and I think I’ll be fine.
****************************************************
                                                     Rewriter                                                                                                                               
                                                             
                                  Dear women of pen, please take note:
                                  There once was a woman who wrote
                           She wrote and she wrote and she rewrote again.
                               (Her dogged ambition, it never did wane.)
                                            She had what it took,
                                          Cast no backward look,
                                     And one day, they published
                                                 HER BOOK!
                                                                                                                                                       
                                                                                       with apologies,                     
                                                                                        Pat Zabriskie                                                                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. These poems are so you - and that's the beauty of it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete