Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pick a Poem – Any Poem

It’s National Poetry Month!

                Wandering around my favorite book store, I found a special display of poetry books, and noticed the newest book out from one of my favorite poets, Billy Collins. I was about to pick up his “Horoscopes for the Dead” and escape to the check out, when I saw another book from poet Mary Oliver - “Swan - Poems and Prose Poems”. I have read and enjoyed her work before, but did not have one of her books in my collection, so I snatched it up and happily paid for my treasures. Happiness is a new book (or two) of poetry.

                I am enthralled with the simple beauty of the poems in Oliver’s book, the quiet quality of the words she chooses to paint her life and the world around her. And as for Mr. Collins’ work, well, he sparks the imagination and makes me smile. And don’t we all need that? Beauty, thoughtful reflections, a bit of amusement in the midst of amazement; it’s a wonderful world of poetry.

                So, dear readers, in celebration of National Poetry Month, I want you to go out and buy yourself a book, pen yourself a poem, or carry a poem in your pocket on April 26th for national Poem-in-Your-Pocket Day. And to help you out, let me make a few suggestions on where to start. 

·         Go to your local library and browse the poetry section. Pick something up and start reading
·         Go to your local book store and support a starving poet – buy a book
·         Check out poems on the internet at www.poets.org or www.poetryfoundation.org
·         Take part in a Poem-a-Day Challenge - there are several online, or start your own
·         Carry a copy of your favorite poem on April 26th. Make several copies and pass them along!
·         Write a poem. Make it silly or serious, rhyming or non, but have fun with it.

Most beautiful day
            Pen in hand as haiku waits
Sun smiles on paper

Jerolyn Lockhart



               

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea! I might even try to write a few poems this month
    You express yourself so well.

    Thanks
    Pat

    ReplyDelete