Friday, April 13, 2012

Life Happens (Keep Austin Weird)

                Here I am, back from an unintentional hiatus. Life became hurried and harried with shopping for/feeding a work crew, and in the midst of that my grandsons and daughter-in-law came to visit during their spring break (yeah!). With all the busyness, though, the writer in me gathered up the sights, sounds and emotions for my writing arsenal.
                Life in itself can be material for a writer, even when the normal days seem mundane. Attention to detail in the everyday things can liven up your writing. You may go about as usual, but find that one little thing that really stands out. Take the experience and write it. The writing of it will help awaken the senses and add flavor to your work. You may not think you need it for your current project, but later on it could come in handy.

For example, one day my husband and I went kayak shopping in Austin…during one of the biggest music festivals in the country, SXSW! I wrote the images in my notebook to use later for the book I’m working on, but I’ll share one basic notation.

While driving by Zilker Park, we encountered a sight we never would have imagined; a middle-aged man riding a bicycle and wearing a thong! I did a double-take as he rode by and noticed his tan bike shoes, and nothing else. Now at first I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, so I thought he might be wearing a beige speedo. I looked to my husband, and from the expression on his face I could tell he had seen the same thing. “That’s not even a thong…it’s a G-string!”

Will this be dressed up and used anywhere else? I don’t know, but you see that even in an ordinary life, there’s always something to write about.


Keeping life weird,
Jerolyn Lockhart

No comments:

Post a Comment