Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Texting

Do you text on your cell phone?  I do but I'm not very good at it.  I have the flip phone that you have to hit the number twice to get an "n" and three times to get the "o."  Sometimes I'm so slow that people text back to see if I even got their message.

The biggest problem I have with texting is all the shortcut words now.  Love is spelled "luv" and I'm not sure what "pls" means.  I'm still working on that one.

Being a writer, words are important and the spelling of those words is even more important.  A publisher will throw your article in the trash if you use "luv" in your manuscript.  Shorthand was always a mystery to me also because those squiggly lines look nothing like the written language I learned.  I still like the feel of a pen and paper in my hand and I can't use abbreviations even when I'm writing my first draft.

Our sons have those fancy phones with the full keyboard on them.  They can text faster with two thumbs than I can type with two thumbs and eight fingers. 

I'm trying very hard to put my correct spelling aside and learn some of the new ways of spelling.  I don't think it's going to be easy.  So until next time, ttyl!

Karen Sperra

No comments:

Post a Comment