Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Christmas Memory

One year for Christmas I decided to do something so different that it would shake up my husband's family.  I had them all do an "About Me" type book.  I typed up form papers with questions on them and mailed them to every person in the family.  They started with their full name, where they were born, where they went to school, a favorite school memory, what jobs they have held and many more questions such as these.  We went into our favorite food, flower, color, etc.  I was amazed at the response I got from them.  One elderly uncle had to have some help filling out his pages but we got some wonderful information about him and his life that we will treasure forever.

After I got everyone's information back, I copied enough books for everyone in his family.  They anticipation from them all was very exciting.  They couldn't wait until Christmas day to get their very own copy of the family book.

Everyone quickly unwrapped all their other presents and said their thanks to everyone then it was time to unwrap the books.  I loved watching them all as they tore the paper off and started reading their books.  There was much laughing, talking and even some very quiet moments as they took a journey into each others lives.  What they found the most amazing was that as well as they know each other, they all learned something new about every other family member.  Watching and listening to them was the best Christmas present I could have ever received.

We all still have our family books and we get them out once in a while annd read them again and smile at the memories inside of them.  I've heard people say that there's a writer inside each of us and after doing those books that special Christmas, I'm a firm believer in that.

Karen Sperra

No comments:

Post a Comment