Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Family Reunions

     My family reunion is coming up in September.  I am so excited!  I love reunion and being able to see all those people you haven't seen for a year.  We have a huge family reunion because it includes everyone on Daddy's side, everyone on Mama's side and everyone in between.  We always have at least one person show up that we can't figure out where they fit in.  They enjoy themselves and have fun so that's all that counts.
     Reunions are a great source of writing inspiration.  At least it's that way in my family.  We have some real characters that keeps things lively.  One reunion we had turned into a bit of a wife swap party and my innocent Mom was standing there in the yard trying to figure out why people were leaving with someone else's husband or wife.  There's always at least one drama queen or king who likes to make a scene and get all the attention turned on him/her.  And let's not forget the little kids who enter the talent show part of the reunion and stand up in front of everyone and tell stories about their mommy and daddy while mommy and daddy sit there with red faces.
     Think about all the people that come to your family reunion.  What would happen if you wrote a story about every person that showed up?  I would have enough stories to keep me busy writing for the rest of my life.  There are other sources for good stories also.  What about church dinners, company parties, kids birthday parties, etc.  The list is endless.  We have all been to at least one of these parties and can come up with some interesting, funny, humiliating or sad stories about something that happened.  You don't always have to tell the truth either. Maybe you like the way your aunt sits all hunkered down in her chair and write a story about a lady who sits that way.  Maybe there's one person who refuses to come to your reunion or party and you could write a story about someone who is so intimidated by other people that they won't go out in crowds.
     Do you have someone in your family who has been married more times than Elizabeth Taylor?  There could be some great stories there.  What about the spooky man who lives down the street from you that only goes out at night?  Why does he only go out at night?  I'm sure you could think up a great scary story about that one!
     Yep, I can't wait for my family reunion.  I will have to stay on my toes this year and see if I can come up with a great story from this one.  Think about writing a story about your next family reunion.  Happy writing!

Karen  Sperra

No comments:

Post a Comment