Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Paean To Mom

                                                      

                                   Who got me up, midnight or not
                                   And sat me on that old. cold pot,
                                   And made me pee,
                                   Whether I had to or not?
                                             My Mother!
                                                                                    Anon.

        Yes, our mothers deserve high praise for the years they labored 
on us and for us.

            No doubt many of those Mom moments come to mind, such as:

              Always wear clean underwear in case you’re in an accident.
            Don’t cross your eyes, they’ll stay that way.
  Who else would teach her daughter to pee in a public toilet without ever touching the seat?                  

A Mother’s influence is powerful.  The Bible says: As is the mother, so is her daughter.

Children absorb your attitude, your spirit, and repeat your words—usually at the worst possible moment.  Like saying to the minister when he’s a guest for dinner, “Pastor, please drink a lot of water. Mom says your sermons are dry.”
                                                        Oops!

A Mother’s wisdom works.
     For several months, we lived in public housing. The buildings were new and charming, but they housed a rough and tumble bunch of kids. Our five played with them and learned a lot of new vocabulary words.
     One day, the oldest daughter stood at the top of the stairs as I called to her, “Clean up your room before you come down.”
     She stood there quietly for a few seconds and then said, “Shit.”
     I repressed a laugh, then asked, “Did you ever hear that word in this house?”
     She stood stock still and replied, “No.”
     “Then don’t ever say it again.”
                                        She didn’t.

Children also are capable of speaking wise words to their Mother.

     When I was pregnant with daughter #3, I got tired—and cranky. One day, my two little girls were playing happily, and loudly. It irritated me. I walked into their room, sat down and began to cry. I said, “I’m sick and tired of you kids.”
     After a brief pause, the oldest replied in a half-crying voice, “We’re sick and tired of you, too, Mommy.”    
      Boy, that will cure self-pity! I was a much nicer Mommy the rest of the day.

Mother’s Day is a lovely day. If you are one, may you hear this commendation:
       
                       “Her children rise up and call her blessed.” 
                                         Proverbs 31     
                                                                                             Pat Zabriskie



No comments:

Post a Comment