Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Walk in the Writer’s Woods (with her little dog, too)

               Today as my dog Dante and I were taking our morning walk in the woods, my thoughts went to the task of writing. This is the “trail” that we followed.
               The focus of the walk this morning is exercise - of the body and the mind. Strengthen my legs and get a focal point for today’s writing project.

                Before taking off, I make sure to have our gear ready. As there are venomous snakes, I put on my hiking boots, strap on a revolver loaded with snake shot, and grab my walking stick. I put a pen and notepad in my pouch, make sure I have training treats for the dog, then off we go. Preparation helps get the mind ready for the task at hand.
                We take off towards the main trail, Dante` checking ahead for new “messages”. Sometimes I have to urge him on to the task at hand, much like myself who can get caught up checking email instead of writing. As Dante would say, “Pee on it and go on.”
                It’s important to focus on the trail ahead. Since today’s goal is exercise, I need to keep moving forward to strengthen the muscles and open the mind to fresh ideas. Gawking this way and that could result in missing some treasure in the middle of the path, or stepping on the afore-mentioned snake.
                Every once in a while the dog will try to lead me off track – he’s caught a new scent that leads off into another sections of the woods. There may be new deer tracks, or a spot where the armadillo was digging, but because I have a goal for today’s walk, I’ll turn my focus again to the path I’ve set and go on. We’ll explore bunny trails on another day.
                When we finally leave the woods and head back to the house, there is a feeling of accomplishment and rejuvenation. We did what we set out to do - exercised the body and mind, and even picked up a “treasure” along the way. Oh, and we did NOT see a snake. I’ve come out of the “woods” of my writing and finished one project and have the seed of another. Not too bad for just a simple, yet focused, walk.      

 Jerolyn Lockhart

No comments:

Post a Comment