Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Eat the Big Frog First

                                      
Are there writing chores that you don’t like to do? You save them for later, or put them off till the last possible moment. There have been times when I’d carry a task over to the next day, and the next day until I had to do it to meet some sort of deadline.

But one day I learned to eat the Big Frog first. I read a book that may have had that title. Looked for it on Amazon and there is one titled, Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. If you’re interested, check it out.

 Now when I make my TO DO List for the day, I put the Big Frog, i.e., the most important job, at the top of the list and start there. I do it first.

Once that Big Frog is taken care of, the rest of the day is fun. My mind is open to new ideas for my book-in-progress or that article I’m working on. At the end of the day, I feel accomplished, satisfied, able to relax, get a restorative sleep and rise to meet the next daywith confidence. It works.

However, If your book or a big assignment is your big frog, you’ll have to divide it into manageable bites. Decide how much time you’ll spend on your book, or how many pages to complete in a day. Accomplishing the goal for the day will bring that satisfaction and sense of accomplishment.

Whatever your goal is for the day is your big frog. Get right to it. Don’t write your blog first or read e-mails. There’ll be time for the little frogs later.

Once you get in the habit of tackling your most important job first, your days at the desk will carry you through to The End of that book, or the final polish on the article.

You won’t be sorry you ate the Big Frog first.
                                                                           Pat Zabriskie


No comments:

Post a Comment