Friday, September 7, 2012

The Writer’s New Shelf

 
              In the Aug. 19th edition of the Six Rural Writers’ Newsletter, I wrote an article entitled “A Writer’s Shelf.” In the article, I told about taking inventory of my writing related books, both on the oak bookshelves and on my Kindle & Kindle Fire, and said I would post those books on our blog. This week’s post includes only the books on my Kindles and in the “cloud.” I’ll post more books next week.

Writing Fiction for All You’re Worth by James Scott Bell 
(Mr. Bell is one of my particularly favorite authors of writing books and articles. He is entertaining as well as educational, and his enthusiasm for writing comes through. I also enjoy the fiction he writes.)

Getting the Words Right by Theodore A Rees Cheney   
(This is a great book on revision. Enjoyable to read and useful when you are in the throes of agony and want to throw out the first draft. His guidance will ease the pain.)

Write That Book already! : The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
by Sam Barry & Kathi Kamen Goldmark - aka: the Author Enablers - editors of this collection of helps from some of today’s top writers                                          (The title caught me…and I’m glad.)

Write Poetry Now by  Robert Lee Brewer             
(I subscribe to his blog, and have enjoyed him immensely. He writes the “Poetic Asides” column for Writer’s Digest and is the editor of the current, and past years, Poet’s Market )

The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing: Everything you need to know about creating & selling your work by the editors of Writer’s Digest

New Oxford Dictionary – 2nd edition                        (Of course, I have a dictionary on here!)

A Writer’s Book of Days by Judy Reeves               
(One thing I appreciate about Amazon is the fact that I can download a sample to read, then purchase the book later if I like it. From the preview, I will buy this book.)

Creating Characters by Howard Lauther                                   (Downloaded the sample on my Kindle)

The Giant Book of Poetry - edited by William H. Roetzheim         
(It not only inspires my poetic bent, but other parts of my writing)

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nin Sankovitch                 
(The author’s year of reading a book a day, and has a complete list of the books she read)

Holy Bible: NASB                              
(not just for the soul, but also for the wonderful literature, beautiful poetry, riveting stories, and the moral compass we need for God to guide us)

      As you can imagine, carrying these books around would be rather cumbersome, so being able to have the inspiration, information, and the “get to it”prompting in a traveling form is a great boon to the writer. I hope this gives you a few ideas for your own library and, if you don’t already have an e-reader, helps you decide on whether one would be beneficial to you.
Happy reading…and writing!


Jerolyn Lockhart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment