Wednesday, July 11, 2012

God bless the journalist!

God bless the journalist!  I don't think I could do what they do.  They have to cover the fun stories and they have to cover the sad stories.  If there is an accident in the area, they have to go cover it for the local news.  What a tough thing to do!  We all enjoy writing about the good stuff and the fun stuff but then there's the darker side where they have to uncover all the hurts that people are feeling.

This kind of came to my mind today when my husband and I visited the local nursing home.  I belong to a group of quilters who make lap quilts for anyone who needs one.  It may be due to a divorce, a death in the family, an illness, spiritual unrest or emotional trauma.  Some people want a quilt just to feel that someone has prayed for them.

We went to the nursing home to take a quilt to a lady we have known for some time.  We haven't spent a lot of time with her but my husband and her husband have been co-workers and friends in the past.  This lady has had several strokes and is nothing like the person she used to be.  I handed the quilt to her and she took it in her shaky hands and the tears started falling from her eyes.  She held the quilt to her face and cried.  I could barely contain myself.  I explained to her that every time we tie a knot in the quilt, we said a prayer for her and her family.  I knew she understood what I was saying but she couldn't answer back.  She simply held the quilt to her face and cried.

We didn't stay long.  I was having a hard time holding my emotions in.  Her husband thanked us profusely as we left them sitting there.  We walked out with heavy hearts, knowing that she will never be able to go back home and be with her family again.

As a writer, I am always on the lookout for things I can write about.  I could never be a journalist and cover some of the sad stories they have to cover. Today was hard enough for me.

Karen Sperra


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely piece, Karen. Thank you for sharing with everybody who reads our blog.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete