Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm A Writer...Sort of!



I couldn't sleep the other night so I decided to get up and work on a story that I had been writing.  I got to thinking about how I could become a "structured" writer.  You know, the kind that gets up three hours before the rest of the family so they can get the last sixteen chapters of their book done.

I don't do mornings so I knew this would never work for me.  My husband says I'm out of bed before 6:00 every morning but I don't wake up until 10:00.  A lot of days, he's absolutely right about that.  By the time I do finally get fully awake, it's time to do some laundry and try to get a little housework done.  Of course, there's always the phone call from the person who needs a ride to work or the baby sitter is sick and could I watch the kids for the day.  Then another person calls and wonders if I would mind picking up their prescription from the drug store and running it out to them.  They only live twelve miles from my house so it's no problem to do this.  Or how about the day your husband forgot his wallet and the policeman who stopped him would really like to see proof of a drivers license!

By now I have decided that I'll probably never be a "structured" writer because I don't want to give up the time I spend running errands for other people and I would never give up my time with my family.  So here's what I have decided to do.  I will continue getting up on those nights when I feel the need to write something down before I forget what a good idea I had.  I will take a small notebook with me when I'm waiting to see the doctor and jot down ideas for songs, poems, stories or even a book.  I will sneak ten minutes out of my day to try out a new tune on the piano.  I will let the dishwater get cold while I write down a funny story about something my children did when they were young.  And when I think of something precious my husband said to me, I will shut the vacuum sweeper off long enough to add it to my notebook of memories.

Well, I guess I can never call myself a good writer, but I prepare meals occasionally and no one has ever called me a cook!  And someday when no one needs me to run for them, I'll sit down and write that book.  What a sad day that will be.
                                                                                           Karen Sperra



No comments:

Post a Comment