Sunday, October 7, 2012

Books on a Writer's Shelf

                Fall is in the air, the heater is running in the home - "rainy days and Monday's always get me down," as Karen Carpenter sang back in the '70s. Autumn is actually my favorite time of year, but there are cold days that seem to dull the senses. After a hot summer, and busy family life, part of me is gung-ho to get back to business, but the other part is lazy and just wants some hot tea and a comfy blanket. So I've compromised and pulled out some of my cozy, yet inspiring and educational, books for writers. They gently massage the tired mind, and draw out a smile or two. I'll curl up in my recliner, drink some Earl Grey tea, and have my notepad and pen at the ready next to the stack of books. I really am working, but might as well be comfortable.
                First up - poets and poetry. Poetry is definitely a must for this kind of day. It engages the senses and stirs imagination as no other writing can. I know a lot of you don't care for poetry, but to me it is essential. The books I have out at the moment are especially kind to the non-poet reader/writer. As I said, this is a lazy, working day.
                Have you ever seen an original manuscript from one of the world's greatest writers, especially a hand-written one? What a wonderful moment! You feel a connection with the writer and their work, as though you were present while they crafted the pages that you see before you. If you ever have a chance to see an author's exhibit, please do. You'll come away inspired. Sorry, my mind floated back to the exhibits I've seen at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas in Austin. To view some of the online manuscripts, go        http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/             
                And what, I'm sure you are wondering, does this have to do with the books you were talking about? A book, "The Hand of the Poet: Poems and Papers in Manuscript" by Rodney Phillips and The NY Public Library, is what led to that interlude. Opening the book to any writer here, will give you and insight into their style and life. Scribbles, cross-outs, notations...an "exploration of the creative process" as Paul LeClerc  says in the introduction. Pick a favorite, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Robert Frost, Ogden Nash, or even Rudyard Kipling, and you'll gain insight to the works of these great authors.

                Frances Mayer's The Discovery of Poetry, is a "Field Guide to Reading and Writing Poems." The author of Under the Tuscan Sun shows her love of poetry through this beautifully written book. You can read the book for education, or just the poems as in an anthology, but it all comes together in an insightful, and delightful manner. My favorite instructive poetry book.
                Fooling With Words: A Celebration of Poets and Their Craft by Bill Moyers - This is a book of conversations Mr. Moyers had with poets, including Robert Pinsky and Stanley Kunitz. Poems and their inspiration are discussed, as well as the influence they have on each generation. Great for stimulation, and a touch of reality.
                I became so engrossed in re-reading sections of these books, that I've lost track of time...and word count. So if you will forgive me, I'll bid you adieu, but bring more book suggestions next week. Tea anyone?
Jerolyn Lockhart

No comments:

Post a Comment