Saturday, August 18, 2012

From There To Now


                                                                                          Pat Zabriskie

In the 1970s, I began writing in earnest. I took a writing course by correspondence. It taught me the basics and assigned me topics to write about. As a result, within about three months I sold my first article to a parenting magazine for $75.00.

No, that check isn’t framed as my first freelance acceptance. I cashed it and knew my writing had value in the marketplace.  As a teacher in my church’s education department I used my new-found skills to develop lessons and programs. The denomination’s state office asked me to write a year’s worth of lessons for local distribution. My work was recommended to our national publications department and I was soon writing curriculum. I averaged from two to six assignments a year for Sunday school quarterlies, special activities, seasonal programming and events.

When I was director of our church’s Christian education department, the material grew out of our children’s needs and was grade level appropriate. The kinks were worked out in the classroom.

Part of our activities centered around puppets. Our teacher magazine ran five original puppet characters I created with scripts. These scripts were made available by mail to other Christian puppeteers. My mimeograph was busy. After a year or two, I gathered the scripts up into two books of plays. Gospel Publishing House published them.

All of this writing got done while my pastor husband and I raised five children. I somehow managed to keep up with the work of the pastorate. Wives were partners in ministry in my day. Though I seldom spoke from the pulpit, my husband said my pulpit was the kitchen table, where I often entertained other busy women and we cried and prayed together.

When I sold my first article to a teacher’s publication, I was so thrilled I ran through the house showing each child my byline. The oldest one looked at me and said, “So?” Children keep you humble. After all, you are Mom. Why look for any other fame?

As the kids left home one by one, I filled my empty nest with more writing.
I worked for local newspapers in every little burg we pastored. We presented unique summer programs so as not to compete with the larger churches wonderful Vacation Bible schools. We taught the Bible in a fun, non-competitive way. The locals referred to us as the “Little Church at Hollywood and Vine,” for our puppetry shows in the schools, carnivals, churches and nursing homes.

Before our last two kids moved on, we performed for the High School Graduation Alternative Party. Along with a fun night in a safe place that had movies, games, activities and food, we slid our big stage onto the gym floor in front of the bleachers full of grown up seniors. We heard some giggles and the words, “A puppet show!?”

But we wowed them with crazy puppet antics by “teen” puppets. We used their favorite music, and plenty of “inside” jokes. We performed a soap opera called, “General High School” with high school names romantically linked; we spoofed their teachers. The kids loved it. One of the puppeteers was a student and did a segment outside the stage as Mr. Rogers complete with changing into a sweater and teaching a new word: Grajeation.” The show lasted 20 minutes and was the talk of the party.

Another time we spoofed the school board. We had them in hysterics. We poked fun but were careful not to demean or be offensive.

Writing that kind of material was a blast.

All this has influenced my writing. I wrote straight news features, did interviews with local “celebrities.” Wherever we lived I wrote material--even for a writer’s Christmas party. They were going to hire a belly-dancer, but preferred the Hat Show and a spoof on writers.

Now, as I age (gracefully?) I’m having fun writing the cozy mystery I started years ago. I have time.

After writing material for puppets, children, teachers, Sunday school, short features, spoofs, and news, this is a whole ‘nother ball game.
And I’m still learning how to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment