Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Story In Idioms

A funny thing happened on the way to learn English. I came across the phenomenon known as the “idiom.” Webster’s Handy College Dictionary defines an idiom as “a form of expression peculiar to a language.” Believe me, some idioms are mighty peculiar, but they’re also fun.
Try to write a story using as many idioms, clichés, and colloquialisms as possible.  Here’s a sample.

Henry was in the doghouse for letting the cat out of the bag. What he’d said may have been off the cuff, but it was a bitter pill for George to swallow just the same. George’s back was to the wall, but he knew he’d have to match wits with Henry sooner or later.
     “For two cents, I’d sue him,” he told Mary.
     “Let sleeping dogs lie,” was Mary’s advice, but, no, George wasn’t about
to let any grass grow under his feet.
     It was raining cats and dogs, but since George was nearly driven up the wall, he hightailed it across the street to Henry’s office.
     As usual, Henry got the ball rolling by rubbing George the wrong way. “Hey, it’s gorgeous George! Did I ever tell you, George, you are the cat’s meow. No one can hold a candle to you. Why don’t you throw your hat in the ring? The world is waiting!”
     “Quit pulling my leg, Henry,” George retorted. “I got wind of what you said and I’m here to rake you over the coals. I’m calling you on the carpet! Face the music!”
     “Oh, George,” Henry countered, “you lose your temper at the drop of a hat. Why jump to conclusions? You’re barking up the wrong tree. I didn’t do anything.”
     “Level with me, Henry, do you mean you didn’t let the cat out of the bag about my new invention?”
     “George, use your head, I wouldn’t horn in on anything that important. Do I look like a guy who’d give a tip off?”
     “Well, I don’t know.You do throw your weight around at the office.”
     George sat down heavily, “I came over here to give you a piece of my mind, now it seems we’re talking in circles. Maybe I’m just over the hill.”
     “No way, George buddy, you’re not too old to cut the mustard anymore, but maybe you do have your nose to the grindstone a bit much. You’re run ragged. Why not cool it awhile?”
      “Yeah, you’re probably right. Sorry I blew my stack. I’m always putting my foot in my mouth and end up eating crow.”
     “Forget it, George, you’re just a chip off the ol’ block.”
     “Well, I guess I’d better quit making small talk and put my shoulder to the wheel again. See ya later, Henry.”
     “See ya, George, and hey, George—don’t take any wooden nickels!”
                                                                                       Pat Zabriskie

1 comment:

  1. What a hoot! Holden oldies galore...can't believe you chucked up so many.

    ReplyDelete